Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Act of Love by Katie Kilgore

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. I Corinthians 13:1-3
  
I had the chance to sit down with a seasoned Minister of Music, Rev. Mark Barnes, this week and “interview” him on his ministry, etc.  It was a joyful time of encouragement, excitement, and enthusiasm as he gave me practical suggestions for ministry as well as sharing some of his vision with me.  One interesting point he made was a nugget of information that he received from a previous Pastor / Mentor with whom he had the chance to serve with several years ago.  He asked the Pastor for one piece of advice for ministry as the Pastor was entering his retirement years.  The Pastor responded with, “I would have loved people more.”  Wow!  This sounds so simple and a direct commandment for each of us a believer’s, so why would a Pastor feel the need to make such a statement?  As Rev. Barnes and I continued our conversation regarding life and ministry, it became clear to me the reason for such a statement.  The Pastor was so focused on “doing” ministry, preparing for next week’s sermon, and administration of the church, that he neglected what the scripture in I Corinthians 13 tells us…”but do not have love, I gain nothing.”  What did this Pastor gain by spending so much of his time in preparation rather than spending his time loving the people of his church and loving his neighbors? 

As I think about my ministry as a worship leader, I must honestly evaluate my actions.  I wonder if sometimes I focus so much on the choir hitting the correct note, or pausing for the rest, that I neglect to simply love the folks in the choir.  Am I so concerned with the necessary administrative tasks at hand that I forget to give someone in our congregation a much needed hug?  Am I acting as a “resounding gong or clanging cymbal?”  Love is imperative to each of our ministry efforts, for without it, what have we truly gained?

Lord,
I pray for YOUR love to resonate through me as I plan, lead, and serve in your church.  I pray that others will see and know that You guide my every step in ministry and, above all, they will know Your love and I love them.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment