Tuesday, March 26, 2013

John 21:22 by Brandi Peters

Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!”  John 21:22

Jesus’ response to Peter’s inquiry about what should happen to John is a reminder I need often. In my tendency to make Christianity all about me and the blessings I receive from God, rather than what He has already given, I have no way of gaging my life’s progress without comparing it to that of another.

It is true that Christ indwells each believer, but not in order to live out the same life in each of us. Even before we came to accept Him as Lord, He created us with different backgrounds, personalities, drives, and desires.  Each believer’s role in God’s ultimate plan is different, as are the blessings we receive and the burdens we bear.

This is not to sound isolating or alienating. Certainly, there are commonalities, but I cannot compare my life to another in order to objectively identify my standing. Christ is the standard. He is who and what I am to strive after.

As for the person (believer or not) who seems to be more blessed than I? If Christ wills that person to remain until His return, what is that to me? I should follow Him!  

No comments:

Post a Comment