Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Discipline Equals True Discipleship by Katie Kilgore

For the moment, all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but in the end it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11

Discipline…not really a fun word or topic for discussion.  However, the significance of discipline in our faith journey is vital to the understanding of where we are going, or need to be headed…towards discipleship.  In Hebrews, we are told that discipline is painful.

I began my journey towards running a 5K race about a year ago now.  I knew as the date for the race neared that I must have a plan, a training plan, if I would somehow run the entire 3-mile race.  So, for 12 weeks leading up to the race, I trained.  The run times started off slow…as was my breathing.  Each week the run times would increase by only a small margin, however, I could feel it…the painful part of the training.  As the day of the race quickly neared, I still had not completed a full 5K run during my training.  However, I was assured by several “real runners” around me that it would happen the day of the race, as long as I was disciplined.  I held on to that hope and on that day, May 31, 2012, I did it, I ran a 5K race without stopping!  The right-ness with the Lord never felt so near as it did that night.  He did it!  He used my weak and tired body to cross the finish line.

As I think about my faith journey in comparison to that race, I ask myself where is the discipline?  I want so desperately to hear from the Lord.  To KNOW His plans for me, even if just for this day.  But, rather than blaming Him for not speaking, how about my part in this?  Do I seek Him through His word?  Most definitely not.  So now, the discipline of studying His scriptures must ensue, it will be painful for the moment, but in the end, He promises to bring His peaceful fruit of righteousness…so what am I waiting for…maybe the sound of the gun-start, I think I just heard it!
Lord, I hunger for your righteousness in my life.  I want to be trained by your written word of truth.  Please give me the discipline to choose daily to study Your word and You have promised to be faithful and speak through it.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment