Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Humility through His Voice by Katie Kilgore


3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

Philippians

2:3-4 (NIV)



I am currently reading a text for one of my worship classes called “The Voice of Our Congregation.”  The author speaks of how each of our congregations has an collective voice in which they worship, speak, learn, and generally function.  As a choir director, I have often struggled with pushing the choir beyond their “comfort zone” and allowing them to remain in the mundane of what I consider to be the “same ol, same ol.”  There is such a fine line of leadership to this dilemma.  However, I have learned through this text that hearing the voice of the congregation and specifically the choir is vital to my leadership.  As a leader, I must first learn to hear from the One True Voice, the Holy Spirit. Without His divine leading in me, I am worthless.  So, here’s where humility is key.  Rather than choosing anthems and special music that I like, I must submit to the Holy Spirit’s leading while also remembering the voice with which our choir sings.  This is really difficult for me.  However, just last week as I was reading through this text, I had the opportunity to listen to some possible new music for the choir.  Honestly, had I not been in the midst of reading I would have shunned the opportunity for the sake of “that’s not MY choice of music.”  Instead, I popped the CD into my car and began listening.  I was pleasantly surprised in what I heard and even more aware of how the Lord is using this text to mold me as a worship and choir leader, bringing me back to humility once again.

Lord,
I pray for humility as I lead.  Help me to be confident, but only in your leading and your Voice.  Help me to be sensitive to the voice that has led our congregation for years before my arrival and will continue to lead for years after my departure.  I submit to your leadership Holy Spirit.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment