Monday, May 20, 2013

The Prodigal Son or The Perfect Father? by Brandi Peters


"And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him." -Luke 15:20 ESV

I'm not a runner. I don't enjoy running or desire to become better at it. I often joke with people that if I'm ever seen running, the police need to be contacted, because someone is chasing me. Then again, that's not entirely true. I am a runner. An excellent runner. I am good at running from God. I'm not alone in this talent.
Who doesn't love the story of the prodigal son? Who, in his own way, hasn't at some point in his life been the prodigal son? I am intrigued by the story because I relate to it. I can see the futility of the young son's actions, squandering his life and reaping what he's sown. I am aware he's getting exactly what he deserves, but still I am sympathetic because I know I have acted similarly. As easy as it would be to condemn him and leave him starving in the slop, I am secretly hoping there is some sort of out, not particularly because I have come to like him, but because I recognize his fate could be my own. I want to see him rise above this circumstance so that I can have hope in mine.

He hits rock bottom and finally comes to his senses. At this point, I've been wondering why it took him so long. He could've always gone home with his tail between his legs, right? I want to feel like this would've occurred to me before I got to the point of starvation, but that's probably an oversell.

He comes up with a plan, one that seems like a bit of a scheme to me. There's no justifying what he's done. He knows this. I picture him repeating the spiel to himself over and over all the way home until he's almost convinced it will work. That's where we pick up in verse 20, with a major shift occurring and it becoming evident that the story of the prodigal son isn't really about the son at all. It's about the father, who is a picture of God.
This focus is not on the knucklehead behavior of the son. It's on the perfect forgiveness of the father. The people listening to Jesus would've understood this, if for no other reason than this: the father ran. Respectable Jewish men did not run. It was considered unbecoming. This father would've been owed the graveling the son was about to give, that and much more. He asked for no payment though. He accepted the son's repentance and showed grace.

Why? He loved his son and desired a relationship with him, just as God desires a relationship with each of his children. God made a way for that when he sent Christ to bear the punishment for our sins. We can be encouraged by this as we approach the father. He's done all the work. We just need to turn toward Him in humility. Wherever we are, He will come running!

God, thank You that You are the perfect Father. Though we fall and fail, You are always patient and loving with Your children. Keep us close. Show us more of who You are and help us to honor You daily. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment