Monday, May 20, 2013

In The Fight by Katie Kilgore


Ephesians 6:10
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

Matthew 5:11-12
“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.  Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

Over the course of the past several weeks Satan has been very busy in and around my life.  He continues to attach through those I love, those I worship with, those I don’t even know, even my job.  He is a good schemer. 

I read Ephesians 6 about putting on the full armor of God in the midst of one day recently that was particularly difficult.  I had been persecuted by, none other, than those with whom I worship with on a weekly basis.  I was pretty down in the dumps about it.  Then, I read about putting on God’s full armor of protection.  As I considered God’s armor, I realized that I am a part of His army, fighting this battle of life, on His behalf.  I also realized the importance of Him allowing me to wear His armor.  Not only does His armor protect physically, but it also provides a spiritual and emotional shield as well.  Even after my “battle” had ended, and I felt bruised and tired, I was not defeated, but only because of His shield and sword.

As I consider persecution, I should think of it as a privilege rather than a battle.  If others are insulting me or saying evil things against me, could it mean that I am living a life of obedience to Christ?  He never promises a life of ease, however, he does promise a life of persecution.  And, then in Matthew 5:12, He tells us to “rejoice and be glad” in the midst of our persecution.  Jesus was not exempt from persecution, so why should we expect to be?  We shouldn’t, we just don’t want to deal with it because it is painful.  But, in the pain, comes the beauty of growth and strength that can only come from walking with Christ.

So, as persecution finds you, as it will continue to do, remember to rejoice in the Lord and be especially thankful that He gives us the protection and the armor that we need to fight the battle!  I am staying In The Fight, what about you?

Lord, I want to fight this battle of life, but only with you guiding and your armor protecting me.  Help me to see that persecution is a good thing, even when it hurts and leaves a bruise!  Help me to rejoice and be glad when persecution comes my way.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment