Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Forecast for the Future by Katie Kilgore


“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

I don’t know about you, but I sure love to know the places, the forecast, the people for which I am headed, for the near future and especially the distant future.  However, we don’t always have the insight to know exactly where we are headed.

I began a new journey about 4 ½ years ago working in a law office.  First, I am not the “sit on my duff” type of worker.  Second, I had never worked in an office other than working for myself as a Realtor.  Third, my grandmother kept referring to me as a “secretary,” which I despised!  I find nothing wrong with secretarial types, it was just not what I preferred to be called.  However, my family needed to eat, my husband had just lost his job and we had to close my dream business in a down-spiraling economy.  We had a 2 ½ year old son and we had to provide for him somehow.  So, a job offer came my way, and I snatched it up, secretary or not, whatever hat I needed to wear.  God knew exactly what He was doing.

I still wonder at times why I am where I am.  But, it’s the little affirmations that the Lord gives to me that allow me a small understanding of His plans for my life.  Just last week, I had the opportunity to speak with an old friend.  I did not know where life had taken her over the past few years, not really anyway, I only knew the good things that she posted on Facebook.  She overheard a conversation that I was having about my job and took that as a chance to open-up with me about the path she had been traveling.  She had to file bankruptcy, the dreaded “B” word and also found herself without a home from foreclosure.  She heard me discussing that I am a legal assistant who works bankruptcy cases and that I find joy in being able to encourage those walking down this dark and lonely path.  I was given the opportunity to listen, cry, hug, and encourage my dear friend at a moment that I was least expecting.  Wow!  The Lord sure did know the plans He had in store for me as a “secretary” and I am so thankful the He does.

Now, I am embarking on another new journey, parenthood for the 2nd time.  What plan does the Lord have in store for this part of my life?  If only I knew….but, I am trusting that His plans will prove to be “a hope and a future” for my family that only He can ordain.  I can’t wait experience the forecast.

Lord, help me to rest in the fact that YOU know the plans that you have in store for my future.  Whether I know them fully or not, you are in control.  I am thankful for your provisions and your affirmations.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment